Built-up roof systems, abbreviated as BUR, are one of the oldest roofing systems used for commercial roofing contruction purposes. Not only are they reliable, in the event of damage, they are easy to repair as well. With these roofs, we intend to provide customers extra protection to render better performance in the extreme weather conditions.
What is a Built Up Roof System?
Essentially, a built up roofing system consists of layers of roof felts that are laminated together. Bitumen, asphalt or some other roofing adhesive is used in between the layers. Emerging as a safer, durable and lightweight alternative, a lot of business owners are finding them to be an ideal choice for their office buildings. They are particularly useful for roof structures that are low-slope or flat.
Built-up roofing system are a choice that can never go wrong because they can be designed and built to cater to the building owner’s needs. In addition, since these built up roofing systems incorporate multiple layers, they offer superior protection in the event of hail or snow (for our Northern AZ commercial property owners).
With over 30 years of experience, we have the expertise needed to give your building’s roof the ability to easily withstand harsh weather in Arizona.
Why Use Built Up Roofing Systems for Your Building
There are many advantages that an owner enjoys when he chooses to have a built-up roofing system installed on his building.
- Built up roofing systems are a cost-effective solution.
- It is applied with minimal hassle such that building occupants are not disrupted.
- It ensures impact and fire resistance.
- It is decorative, hard wearing and comes in a variety of skid resistant finishes.
- Built up roofs are easy to clean.
- This system has a superior ability to bridge joints and cracks.
- Built up roofs promise excellent color stability.
- Reflective materials can be used over the top coat so as to reduce the effect of ultra violet radiation.
- Long term warranty comes with many built up roofing systems.
- It has commendable waterproofing capabilities.
- Tensile-strength for build up roofs is high.
- With insulation, performance of a building component can be significantly improved.
- Built-up roofing systems reduce heating and cooling costs.
How a built up roof is installed
- Any buckles, raised edges or blisters that exist on the surface are flattened and removed.
- The existing roof is then checked for vents, valleys, flashings, drains or edging to determine if repair is needed.
- It is ensured that the surface is free from rust, paint, dirt, oil, gravel or grease.
Sometimes existing roofs have to be completely removed if:
- The deck is deteriorated and fail to qualify for a reasonable subsurface.
- The structure has been roofed many times as this can lead to high weight load.
- The old roof has moisture such that it cannot be dealt with.
Roll roofing starts next and the adhesive is applied on top. At this point, it is important to ensure that the roofing adhesive is applied uniformly using a roofing brush between the layers of roll roofing. This adhesive is applied after an hour of the cement application. The drying time is around 2 days provided the weather is warm and dry (we can assume that it will be in most cases!). If it is possible to lift the roof, it shows the cement is wet and will some more time to dry.
Before you opt for your built-up roofing systems, it is important to determine whether it is a hot applied roofing system you want or a cold applied roofing system will work for you.
Get your building a visually delighting roof
At Jim Brown and Sons Roofing, we ensure that your roof installation is as easy for you as possible. Since we have over 30 years of experience in the industry, we facilitate our customers to make well-informed decisions in terms of quality and components so as to meet and exceed expectations every time. It is with this attitude that we ensure durable, affordable and weather resistant roofs every time such that our customers enjoy them year after year.
Contact us today to get your building a roof where you achieve the perfect balance of aesthetics and durability.